WINDExchange disseminates credible information about wind energy deployment. As part of this effort, the team has developed slideshows that quickly convey wind energy facts and can easily be shared with other interested stakeholders. Look for more additions to the slideshow series in the coming months.
Wind Plants and Radar Interactions
This slideshow provides information about the impacts of wind plants and radar interactions and mitigation strategies. Topics include:
- Radar characteristics
- The Department of Defense Preliminary Screening Tool and Siting Clearinghouse
- The Federal Interagency Wind Turbine Radar Interference Mitigation Strategy
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Public NEXRAD Screening Tool.
Wind Energy Integration
This slideshow provides information about integrating wind energy into the electricity grid, including:
- Examples of wind energy contributing significant power to energy portfolios around the world
- States leading the market in wind energy production
- How wind energy can increase system reliability during severe weather events
- How improved wind forecasting tools and wind technology help grid integration.
Wind Energy Benefits
This slideshow features the top benefits of wind energy:
- Provides employment, income, and economic benefits from a cost-competitive energy source
- Diversifies the national energy portfolio
- Is a clean, inexhaustible resource that doesn’t use water
- Has low operating costs
- Can be used in a variety of applications
- Can be integrated with minimal cost increases.
Wind Energy Impacts
This slideshow helps to alleviate some of the common misconceptions about wind energy and addresses these topics:
- Human health impacts
- Shadow flicker
- Radar and communication signal impacts
- Visual impacts.
Distributed Wind Ordinances
This slideshow provides an introduction to distributed wind projects and a brief overview of topics to consider when developing a distributed wind energy ordinance:
- Turbine height restrictions
- Setback requirements
- Sound standards
Wind Energy and Avian Species: Understanding Impacts and Mitigation Strategies
This slideshow provides information about avian interactions with wind energy development and the strategies that help to minimize and mitigate these interactions. Information presented includes an overview of:
- Recommended steps for pre-construction site evaluation
- Site-specific risk assessment
- Minimization measures during a project’s lifetime.