WINDExchange disseminates credible information about wind energy deployment. As part of this effort, the team has developed slideshows that quickly convey wind energy facts and can easily be shared with other interested stakeholders. Look for more additions to the slideshow series in the coming months.
Block Island and Beyond: Offshore Wind in the United States
This slideshow provides a brief introduction to offshore wind in the United States, including the country’s first installation off the coast of Block Island, Rhode Island. Topics include:
- Offshore wind projects in development and the technical potential of U.S. offshore wind
- Requirements for offshore wind project construction
- Examples of benefits provided by the Block Island project
- Challenges to offshore wind development in the United States
- Examples of U.S. Department of Energy investments in U.S. offshore wind.
Wind Plants and Radar Interactions
This slideshow provides information about the impacts of wind plants and radar interactions and mitigation strategies. Topics include:
- Radar characteristics
- The Department of Defense Preliminary Screening Tool and Siting Clearinghouse
- The Federal Interagency Wind Turbine Radar Interference Mitigation Strategy
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Public NEXRAD Screening Tool.
Distributed Wind Ordinances
This slideshow provides an introduction to distributed wind projects and a brief overview of topics to consider when developing a distributed wind energy ordinance:
- Turbine height restrictions
- Setback requirements
- Sound standards